Next 23rd of June we will celebrate Saint John’s Eve, the shortest night of the year, when the fire becomes the great protagonist removing all the bad things, purifying and renewing energy and life.
This is a pagan feast that takes a religious name because it is thought than Saint John the Baptist was born around this date, and in addition it coincides with the summer solstice in the Northern Hemisphere, so we take advantage of this fact to celebrate the coming of summer as well.
The beaches of Lanzarote are filled with bonfires on such a special night, and if you are staying in our island and you want to live this feast in an extraordinary way, don’t forget the following and become part of the celebration:
• Dances and celebrations follow one another around the bonfires accompanied by music and batucadas.
• At midnight books, firewood and old furniture are burned, as well as those things that have brought us bad luck since the year started.
• A traditional barbecue is celebrated before the bonfire, where piñas (word for corncob in the Canary Islands) cannot be missing.
• Don’t forget to make a wish and jump over the bonfire so it comes true.
• After dancing around the bonfire and past midnight, you’ll have to take a bath under the moonlight in the Atlantic Ocean to remove all bad things and start a new stage that attracts just the good energy. There exists the belief, in addition, that this bath guarantees good health for the rest of the year.
Remember that the beautiful Playa Dorada, with its white and fine sand, is situated just in front of our hotel, and just a few minutes away you can find the famous Playa Papagayo, a very special place to welcome Saint John’s night as you watch the stars within the Natural Monument of Los Ajaches. On the beach in the town of Playa Blanca, just a few steps from Hotel Princesa Yaiza, a symbolic sky lantern release is celebrated every year to welcome summer and, at 9 p.m., a lively party starts accompanied by live music.
During your stay, our Guest Experience Center will help you choose the best setting to enjoy such a magic night, according to your preferences. And remember, if you book directly through our website, you’ll get the best price and added values you won’t find anywhere else. Think your wish and come to Lanzarote on Saint John’s Eve to make it real!